Saturday 19 January 2013

My Pi has wings!!

So I’ve been threatening to do this for quite some time now. I finally got wireless working on my Pi. This will hopefully unlock all sorts functionality, most noticeably a small, quiet local media centre, streaming media from a server.

As I did this on a spur of the moment decision, I went down to my local Maplin today and bought a wireless card from there. They sell a Pi bundle, so I decided to just go for the card they include in that. It’s sold as a “N150 Nano Wi-Di USB Dongle”, and is Maplin-branded. £9.99, and hopefully working out the box:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/n150-nano-usb-wireless-adapter-681507
And this is what it looks like (excuse the poor photo – I’m sharing an SD card with my camera at the moment):
The good news? I plugged it in, booted it up, and everything just worked. It couldn’t possibly have been easier! For the few steps I DID take, have a look here.  

What next I hear you ask?  How about you take a stab at getting Raspbmc up and running for a brilliant media centre - take a look here.
NOTE: YOU'LL SEE THAT THE ABOVE LINK WILL TAKE YOU TO WWW.MYRASPBERRYPIEXPERIENCE.COM.  I'M MOVING TO A DEDICATED DOMAIN - YOU'LL BE ABLE TO FIND ALL PREVIOUS CONTENT THERE, ALONG WITH NEW POSTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment